Frequently Asked Questions
Q: What hours are you open?
A: 9am to 6pm. If you have an after hours flight we may accommodate your reservation for an additional fee between 6pm-8pm, any arrival between 8pm-12am, we suggest you book a hotel room in the Kahului area and plan to pick up your camper the next morning.
Q: What is your cancellation policy?
A: Full refund up to 8 days before pick up. 75% refund up to 7 days before pick up, then 50% refund for remaining days. No refund within 48 hours our your trip, but we do offer credits which are transferable to friends and family!
AFTER YOUR RENTAL PERIOD STARTS, WE DO NOT REFUND IF YOU VOLUNTARILY DECIDE TO TURN YOUR RENTAL IN EARLY FOR ANY REASON.
NO REFUNDS IF YOU FAIL TO BOOK CAMPGROUND PERMITS AND SHOW UP WITHOUT A PLAN.
We do offer rental credits for rescheduled travel dates and credits may be transferred to friends and/or family.
Q: Where can I camp?
A: You must reserve camping permits/reservations in advance for every night you are camping on Maui. Local law prohibits camping on public beaches/public areas. You can reference our Camping Guide, which offers basic information on Maui camping spots. Upon booking, a more comprehensive guide is available as well.
Q: Where is your location?
A: 591 Haleakala Hwy, Kahului, HI.We are located directly outside of the Maui Airport (OGG) across the street from Costco Gas Station. Since google maps may be wrong, we share a location with the Plate Lunch Marketplace.
Q: Are there mileage charges/limits for my rental?
A: No, Maui is an island.
Q: Are there any restrictions on where I can drive?
A: You must only drive on designated highways and roads, including trails to official camping spots. NO DRIVING ON 4×4 TRAILS OR TO PEAHI (JAWS SURF SPOT) and other areas. There are some rough and narrow roads past Hana on the ‘backside’ near Kipahulu. We suggest you plan ahead to only traverse this section of road once, or preferably not at all with the camper van, as you are responsible for the return condition of your camper at the end of your stay.
Q: Do you have additional camping equipment?
A: Yes. Our standard camping gear can be found here. If you have any requests, feel free to ask!
Q: How much luggage can I bring?
A: Our camper van and Jeep campers typically have enough room for one carry-on sized bag for each person, any additional or larger items tend to clutter the free space in the van and gear space in the Jeeps. We find that travelers who arrive with a couple backpacks and/or hiking packs typically have the most room to spare. For parties three (3) or larger, please consider sharing bags, and remember to try to ‘pack light’ for your Maui camping adventure. Please see luggage storage below.
Q: How old do I have to be to rent a camper?
A: Minimum driver age that we can insure is 25. If you have your own auto policy that covers rentals in the USA with collision AND liability we are able to make exceptions.
Q: Driver License requirements?
A: U.S./Canada residents require a valid driver license. International drivers require a valid driver license and passport. If your license is not written in the latin alphabet or english, you are required to obtain an International Driving Permit (IDP).
Q: Is there a minimum rental period?
A: Yes. The minimum rental period for our camper vehicles is three (3) nights. We are willing to make exceptions, within 2 weeks of travel, but only if our schedule allows. Feel free to ask!
Q: Do you require a security deposit?
A: Yes. A credit card authorization, or ‘charge hold’ is completed four (4) days before arrival. The amount will equal no less than your insurance deductible, as well as if you purchase insurance through us.
Q: Do you require a rental deposit?
A: Yes. We require a rental deposit, which goes towards your rental upon booking to reserve your camper. The amount is $150. It’s just like relationships: we think everyone should be equally committed : )
Q: When do I pay?
A: The booking deposit due upon reservation. The balance of your rental is due seven (7) days before arrival. The security deposit due four (4) days before arrival.
Q: Will someone meet me at the airport?
A: We are the only camper rental company with a location (along with 15 food trucks!) right outside of the Kahului (OGG) Airport. Due to airport regulation we are not permitted to offer pickup/dropoff service. Its a quick 2 minute ride to us via taxi/Uber/Lyft if needed.
Q: Will someone show me how to operate my camper?
A: Yes! We want to make sure that you are comfortable with and know how to operate everything that is included with your camper vehicle, including gear and even driving tips! Please plan for a 20 minute vehicle orientation.
Q: Can you store my luggage for me?
A: Please remember to ‘pack light.‘ We offer a small amount of secure storage space for excess luggage. If you also have a hotel stay booked during your trip, your hotel will usually accept your excess bags. Also, the Queen Ka’ahumanu Center, or ‘Queen K Mall’ offers free luggage storage.
Q: What can I expect at the end of my trip?
A: You will meet us at our location at your specified return time, with a full fuel tank to complete your post-rental vehicle inspection (5-10 min) and we drop you off at the airport for your departure. For after-hours departures, we will coordinate with you personally with specific instructions.
Terms of Service
RULES OF THE ROAD AND SAFETY TIPS (see also Terms and Conditions)
YOU are responsible for the vehicle from the moment you’re given the vehicle and the rental period ends when the vehicle is properly returned.
NO 4×4/OFF-ROAD OPERATION. Operation of your rental vehicle is allowed ONLY on designated and maintained Federal, State, and County roadways, including entrances to beach parks, parking lots, and designated campgrounds. OFFROAD/4×4 use or any other travel along unofficial roadways, dirt roads, or trails is PROHIBITED and proof of such behavior may VOID or result in termination of your rental contract and/or insurance coverage, and forfeiture of your security deposit for inspection and/or repairs. YOU WILL BE RESPONSIBLE FOR ALL TOWING/RECOVERY EXPENSES OUT-OF-POCKET.
We reserve the right to direct you to our location or a mechanic for any safety/operational-related repairs of a vehicle during your trip and provide you with a replacement vehicle (if available). Any refusal may terminate your rental contract, and incur towing charges to return vehicle for repairs to ensure proper safety and function of vehicle.
Maui is a popular world destination. Drivers on the roads are often distracted and unfamiliar with their environment or operation of their vehicle. Practice defensive driving. THEFT from rental vehicles is a problem here. However, it can be easily prevented if you take the following precautions. Only park in designated parking areas that are well-lit at night. Don’t leave money and other valuables locked unattended in your rented vehicle. As an alternative, leave and secure your valuables in a hotel or safe. Carry only enough money with you to enjoy the day’s events and keep it in your immediate possession. Please be careful of our fragile eco-systems. Never touch or step on coral or wild animals for both your and their protection.
Vehicle operation is PROHIBITED by anyone not listed on the rental agreement and/or under the influence of DRUGS / ALCOHOL / NARCOTICS. Each driver must be pre-qualified, have a valid driver license and be a minimum of 25 years of age when requiring insurance coverage.
NO SMOKING. Evidence of any kind of smoking in the vehicle will incur a fine of up to $350.00, plus repair and/or replacement of burned area.
ALL TICKETS, FINES, FEES, TOWING OF VEHICLE; LOST OR DAMAGED KEYS, Flat or damaged TIRES, etc. (see below) caused or otherwise as a result of the renter and/or during the rental period, must be paid by the Renter including recovery costs, expenses, penalties, fees and/or fines.
Maui Camper Escapes, states that to the best of its knowledge and belief that the above-described vehicle(s) is/are in safe condition and free of any known mechanical and cosmetic defects. You acknowledge that the Vehicle has no damage except what is captured in our Inspection. The passenger capacity is determined by the number of seatbelts and must NOT be EXCEEDED. Always fasten your seatbelts-It is the law! Children under 4 years old must be in a federally approved child safety seat. Children under 8 years old must be in a child safety seat or booster seat, unless between 4-8 years old who are taller than 4 ft. 9 inches or over 40 pounds.
No cell phone use while operating the Vehicle unless it is an approved hands-free device such as Bluetooth or mounted on the dash. It’s the law, the driver is prohibited from handling or holding ANY ELECTRONIC DEVICE while driving regardless of the behavior of use.
Please return at the designated return area AND call or text us of the proper time before hand. Each hour past the Rental Period will be calculated at ¼ of a day charge including all taxes and fees and up to a full day. NO REFUNDS FOR EARLY RETURNS, or VOLUNTARY CANCELLATIONS FOR ANY REASON WITHIN THE TIMEFRAME STATED WITHIN OUR CANCELLATION POLICY.
Terms and Conditions
1) NO REFUNDS FOR EARLY RETURNS, or VOLUNTARY CANCELLATIONS FOR ANY REASON WITHIN THE TIMEFRAME STATED WITHIN OUR CANCELLATION POLICY.
2) DEFINITIONS. “Agreement” means all terms and conditions found on both of this form. “You” or “your” means the person identified as the customer elsewhere in this agreement, any person signing this Agreement, any Authorized Driver and any person or organization to whom charges are billed by us at its or the customer’s direction. All persons referred to as “you” or “your” are jointly and severally bound by this Agreement. “We”, “our”, “owner” or “us” means the business named on this agreement. “Authorized Driver”, “Renter”, “Additional Driver” and “Customer” means the renter and any additional driver listed by us on this Agreement, provided that person has a valid driver’s license and is at least age 21. Only Authorized Drivers may operate the vehicle. “Vehicle” means the automobile or truck identified in this Agreement and any vehicle we substitute for it, including but not limited to, all its tires, tools, accessories, equipment, keys, additional rental gear and vehicle documents. CDW means Collision Damage Waiver. “Physical Damage” means damage to, or loss of, the Vehicle caused by collision or upset, it does not include comprehensive damage or loss, such as, but not limited to: loss of the Vehicle due to theft, vandalism, act of nature, riot or civil disturbance, hail, flood or fire. Physical Damage excludes interior damage such as burn holes, tears, window stars, window dings or cracks not caused by collision or upset. “LOSS OF USE” means the loss of our ability to use the Vehicle for any purpose caused by damage or loss during this rental. Loss of use is calculated by multiplying the number of days from the date the Vehicle is damaged or lost until it is repaired or replaced, times the daily rental rate. “Inspection Form” is the damage report/inspection video taken before and after the Rental Period.
3) TELEMATICS. A telematics system includes a vehicle tracking device installed in a vehicle that allows the sending, receiving and storing of telemetry data. The telematics data captured can include location, speed, idling time, harsh acceleration or braking, fuel consumption, vehicle faults, and more. By signing this agreement you, other drivers and passengers authorize the use of telematics devices in vehicle for location and vehicle diagnostics information.
4) RENTAL, INDEMNITY AND WARRANTIES. This is a contract for the rental of the Vehicle. You are obtaining solely a bailment that allows You to use the Vehicle as permitted by this Agreement. No one other than the Vehicle Owner may transfer the Vehicle or any right or obligations under this Agreement. Any attempted transfer or sublease of the Vehicle by anyone other than Us is void. No one may recover, service or repair the Vehicle without Our prior expressed approval. We may repossess the Vehicle at your expense without notice to you, if the Vehicle is abandoned or used in violation of the law or this Agreement. You agree to indemnify, defend us, and hold us harmless from all claims, liability, costs and attorney fees we incur resulting from, or arising out of, this rental and your use of the Vehicle. We make no warranties, express, implied or apparent, regarding the vehicle, no warranty of merchantability and warrant that the vehicle is fit for a particular purpose.
5) CONDITION AND RETURN OF VEHICLE. You must return to our office on the date and time specified in the Agreement, and in the same condition that you received it, except for ordinary wear. If the Vehicle is returned after closing hours, at night, and/or at airport parking, you remain responsible for the safety of, and damage to or loss of the Vehicle (including parking tickets) until we inspect it in daylight conditions and up to a period of no longer than 72 hours after your rental term has ended but before the next rental period. Service of the vehicle or replacement of parts or accessories during the rental must have our prior approval. Flat or damaged tires including replacement during the rental period are renter’s responsibility and must be paid by Renter(s). You must check and maintain all fluid levels. The rented vehicle shall always be parked with the top and all the windows CLOSED in a secure area. A service charge may apply if you return the Vehicle to any other location other than the location from which it is rented.
6) RESPONSIBILTY FOR DAMAGE OR LOSS; REPORTING TO THE POLICE. You are responsible for all loss or theft of, or damage to, the Vehicle, including but not limited to, the cost of repair, or the actual cash retail value of the Vehicle on the date of loss if the Vehicle is not repairable or if we elect not to repair the vehicle, plus loss of use, diminished value of the Vehicle caused by the damage to it or repair of it, and our administrative expenses incurred processing the claim. You must report all accidents or incidents of theft and vandalism to us and the police as soon as you discover them. The Renter needs to contact the owner if vehicle breaks down or if there is any problem or question as to vehicles normal function or reliability. We will do a vehicle replacement whenever possible, but do not guarantee one. Replacement depends on availability and location. The parties choose tMaui County/State of Hawaii for legal proceedings which may be instituted.
7) COLLISION DAMAGE WAIVER. If you purchase CDW, and pay for it in advance or upon time of Starting Date, we will waive our right to collect from you for a portion of Physical Damage to the Vehicle. We will not waive this right if the damage to the vehicle:a.is caused by anyone who is not an Authorized Driver, or by anyone whose driving license is suspended in any jurisdiction;b.is caused by anyone under the influence of prescription or non-prescription drugs or alcohol;c.is caused by anyone who obtained the Vehicle or extended the rental period by giving us false, fraudulent or misleading information;d.occurs while the Vehicle is used in furtherance of any illegal purpose or under any circumstance that would constitute a violation of law, other than a minor traffic violation;e.occurs while carrying persons or property for hire or while pushing or towing anything, or in any race, speed test or contest;f.occurs while teaching anyone to drive;g.occurs while carrying dangerous or hazardous items or illegal material in or on the vehicle;h.occurs outside the geographic locations indicated in the Rental Agreement;i. occurs when vehicle is loaded beyond its capacity;j.occurs as a result of driving the vehicle in 4×4 mode and/or on unofficial/unpaved roads (see Rules of the Road on pg. 2 of this agreement);k.occurs while transporting more persons than vehicle has seat belts, or while carrying persons outside the passenger compartment;l.occurs while transporting children without approved child safety seats as required by law;m.occurs and the odometer has been tampered with or disconnected;n.occurs when the vehicles fluid levels are low, or it is otherwise reasonable to expect that you would know that further operation of the vehicle would damage the vehicle;o.results from inadequately secured cargo;p.where applicable, is caused by anyone who lacks experience operating a manual transmission, or a similar vehicle as the rented vehicle;q.is a result of your willful, wanton or reckless act;r.occurs and you fail to summon the police any accident involving any personal injury or property damage; or,s.is caused by an animal transported in the vehicle.
8) INSURANCE. You are responsible for all damage to your specified rental vehicle and/or loss you cause to others. You agree to provide auto liability, collision and comprehensive insurance covering you, us and the Vehicle. You agree that any insurance that provides coverage to You or to any Authorized Driver shall be primary; and such insurance shall be responsible for the payment of any and all claims. Where state law requires us to provide auto liability insurance, or if you have no auto liability insurance, we provide auto liability insurance (the “Policy”) that is secondary to any other valid and collectible insurance whether primary, secondary, excess or contingent. The Policy provides bodily injury and property damage liability coverage with limits no higher than minimum levels prescribed by the vehicular financial responsibility laws of the state whose laws apply to the loss. You and we reject PIP, medical payments, no-fault and uninsured and under-insured motorist coverage, where permitted by law. The Policy is void if you violate the terms of this Agreement, or if you fail to cooperate in any loss investigation conducted by us or our insurer.
9.) FEES -SUNSCREEN/SALT STAINS/MUD/SCRAPES/SCRATCHES from trees and brush: a maximum of up to $150.00 or repair cost by cleaning/paint professional –DIRTY DISHES/cookware left in camper vans Fee not to exceed $150 to clean Vehicle if returned substantially less clean than when rented, including stains spills –BROKEN or MISSING GEAR/COOKWARE: actual replacement costs of any broken/missing camping gear or cookware –FUEL: fuel refill at $5.00/gallon, if you return the Vehicle less than full or with less fuel then when rented –SMOKING: evidence (smell) of any kind of smoking in vehicle will incur a fine of up to $350.00, plus repair and/or replacement of burned area –TIRES: renter is responsible for all tire repair costs and associated towing costs if any, up-to and including replacement –KEYS: lost/damaged key fee is actual replacement cost charged by locksmith (if available), and/or $200 for delivery and replacement –LOSS OF USE: Loss of use is calculated by multiplying the number of days from the date the Vehicle is damaged or lost until it is repaired or replaced, times the daily rental rate.
10.) REPAIRS. We reserve the right to direct you to our location or a mechanic for any safety/operational-related repairs of a vehicle during your trip and provide you with a replacement vehicle (if available). Any refusal may terminate your rental contract, and incur towing charges to return vehicle for repairs to ensure proper safety and function of vehicle.
11.) CHARGES. Charges will continue to accrue until the Vehicle is returned to Us, or if the Vehicle has been stolen, until You report the theft to both the police in the jurisdiction and to Us. If You use a debit/check card to qualify for a rental, WE will not be liable for overdraft charges or for any other losses or liabilities which you may incur in the event that you overdraw your account. You will pay us, or the appropriate government authorities, on demand all charges due Us under this Agreement, including, but not limited to: a.) time and mileage for the period you keep the Vehicle, or a mileage charge based on our experience if the odometer is tampered with or disconnected; b) charges for additional drivers; c.) optional products and services you purchased; d.) applicable taxes; e.) all parking, traffic and toll violations, fines, penalties, forfeitures, court cost, towing, impound and storage charges, Our processing fees and other expenses involving the Vehicle assessed against us or the vehicle, unless these expenses are our fault; f.) $50, plus $6/mile for every mile between the renting location and the place where the Vehicle is returned, repossessed or abandoned, plus all other expenses we incur in locating and recovering the Vehicle if you fail to return it or if we elect to repossess the Vehicle under the terms of this Agreement; g.) all costs, including pre- and post-judgment attorney fees we incur collecting payment from you or otherwise enforcing our right under this Agreement; h.) a 2% per month late payment fee or the maximum amount allowed by law (if less than 2%) on all amounts past due; i.) $50 or the maximum amount permitted by law, whichever is greater, if you pay us with a check returned unpaid for any reason; j.) if You return the Vehicle to any location other than the location from which the Vehicle is rented; k.) take or attempt to take the Vehicle off the island from which it is rented; and l.) if You direct Charges to be billed to any person, corporation or other entity, You represent that You are authorized to do so.
12.) DEPOSIT. We may use your deposit to pay any amounts owed to us under this Agreement.
13.) YOUR PROPERTY. You release us, our agents and employees from all claims for loss of, or damage to, your personal property (including a vehicle) or that of any other person, that we received, handled or stored, or that was left or carried in or on the Vehicle or in any service vehicle or in our offices whether or not a loss or damage was caused by our negligence or was otherwise our responsibility.
14.) BREACH OF AGREEMENT. The acts listed in paragraph 5, above, are prohibited uses of the Vehicle and breaches of this Agreement. You waive all recourse against us for any criminal reports or prosecutions that we take against you that arise out of your breach of this Agreement.
15.) MODIFICATIONS. No term of this agreement can be waived or modified except by a writing that we have signed. If you wish to extend the rental period, you must return the Vehicle to our rental office for inspection and written amendment by us of the due-in date. This Agreement constitutes the entire agreement between you and us. All prior representations and agreements between you and us regarding this rental are void.
16.) PASSENGER CAPACITY. The passenger capacity of this vehicle is determined by the number of seatbelts and by law must not be exceeded. While in the vehicle, please always fasten your seatbelt. It is the law.
17.) MISCELLANEOUS. A waver by us of any breach of this Agreement is not a waver of any additional breach or waver of the performance of your obligations under this Agreement. Our acceptance of payment from you or our failure, refusal or neglect to any our rights under this Agreement does not constitute a waver of any other provision of this Agreement. Unless prohibited by law you release us from any liability for consequential, special or punitive damages in connection with this rental or the reservation of a vehicle. If any provision of this Agreement is deemed void or unenforceable, the remaining provisions are valid and enforceable.
18.) LIABILITY INSURANCE. We do not sell insurance but if you don’t have your own coverage we MUST provide at least the state min. coverage for you and other authorized operators of your rental vehicle for third party claims. It is secondary protection to all customer’s personal policy/or any other coverage maintained by the customers. There are some exclusions to this coverage. In the event of an accident, you may be held personally responsible for third party liability: If it is not accepted at commencement of the rental you or an authorized driver operated the rental vehicle in violation of the Rental Agreement, including, but not limited to, operating the vehicle while under the influence of alcohol, drugs or other absorbed elements; permit the use of the vehicle by anyone other than authorized operators; for purposes that could properly be charged as a felony, to tow or push anything, or in a speed contest or for driver training; if the rental vehicle is not covered under your own policies or defrauded or misrepresentation. This is third party liability coverage only, except where permitted by law or pertaining to Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Coverage.
THE RENTER AGREES TO RETURN ABOVE DESCRIBED VEHICLE TO MAUI CAMPER ESCAPES AS AGREED IN TERMS. BY SIGNING BELOW/OR COMPLETIONS OF ELECTRONIC SIGNATURE, YOU HAVE READ, FULLY UNDERSTAND, ACCEPT AND AGREE TO ALL OF THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF THIS RENTAL AGEEMENT. YOUR SIGNATURE BELOW AUTHORIZES US TO PROCESS A CREDIT CARD IN YOUR NAME FOR ALL RENTAL CHARGES INLCUDED BUT NOT LIMITED TO DAMAGES, DEDUCTIBLES, LOSS OF USE AND SERVICES RENDERED. I have read, comprehend, fully understand AND ACCEPT the Terms and Conditions herein.